Imago Couple’s Therapy
For couples of all orientations, length of commitment, and stages in life.
Imago therapy is for couples wanting to deepen their connection, improve communication, transition through life changes, and resolve family stress and trust issues. Together you can learn to move past negative behaviors, such as blame, criticism, rage, withdrawal, and rejection, and replace them with healthy relationship habits that encourage support, sensitivity, and compassion.
Imago couples therapy offers:
- Relationship-building for couples just beginning
- An opportunity to renew your connection with the person you have loved for years
- A blueprint for creating a safe place for both of you within your relationship
- Communication skills that allow you both to feel heard, understood, and respected
During Imago sessions:
- You will practice the Imago dialogue, an effective communication tool used by couples all over the world
- You will speak directly to one another while being coached
- Big feelings are more easily contained by slowing down the conversation
- Space and safety is emphasized so differences are expressed and heard
- The goal is not necessarily to agree with one another but to hear each other. When we feel heard, the energy in the relationship changes and resolution is more apt to occur. What once felt like a big impasse tends to shift, creating more softening and connection with one another.
IMAGO therapy was developed by Harville Hendrix, Ph.D and Helen LaKelly Hunt, Ph.D. It is based on Harville’s book, Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples (1988).
For more information call 724-935-4070.